15 Feb 2013

Neal's Yard Remedies Wild Rose Beauty Balm Review






I've waited a long time before reviewing this product so that I can give you guys the most accurate review because the best way the test a product is to try it out for a while. I've been using this balm for 2 months now. I got it because like most people, my skin gets dehydrated during the winter months. I have normal skin otherwise, but my cheeks and the bottoms of my nose can get really dry during winter. This balm is crazy expensive in Canada but it got 4.7/5 stars on Makeup Alley and so I became really curious and had to try it. 

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT IT:
-It's 99% organic and it has the most natural ingredient list I've ever come across. The ingredient list goes from what it contains the most to what it has the least. So you always want to look at the first 4-5 ingredients because that's what the product is mostly made out of. The first 11 ingredients in this balm are all organic oils like rosehip, jojoba and geranium.
-It's multifuctional. It doubles up as a makeup remover, gentle exfoliator, hydrating mask, nighttime moisturizer and balm to soothe dry spots. Although I haven't tried it, you can use it as hair oil when the ends gets dry.
-My favourite way to use it is as a hydrating makeup base before applying my tinted moisturizer. If my cheeks are still dry even a tiny bit after I apply my moisturizer, I take a pea sized amount of the balm, warm it up between my fingers and apply where needed. It makes my tinted moisturizer apply evenly and prevents it from getting spotty from the dryness.

WHAT I DON'T LIKE ABOUT IT:
-It's a bad makeup remover. The consistency of the balm isn't thin enough to spread on your face gently. You also have you use way too much product in order to remove face makeup. For an expensive product like this, you want to save as much as it you can and keep it on your face for as long as possible instead of taking it right off with your makeup. 
-The smell bothers me. It smells very strongly of geranium and rosemary. I'm not a fan of how either of these oils smell. I think it smells like grandma. The scent also lasts all day which can be a plus if you like the scent but horrible for those who don't like it.

Overall, I really like this balm. I feel safe knowing that I'm putting natural ingredients on my face. It's great for the wintertime when your skin gets really dry. The feeling I hate most is when your skin feels tight from dehydration and this balm is a part of the steps I take in order to prevent that. For people who are afraid of oils, don't be! Oils are your friend. It's good for your skin (but petroleum/mineral oils is a big no no). I used to be afraid of oils, but once you get used to it, you can never go back. And remember that the key to great makeup is great skin!

No comments:

Post a Comment